Passing symbols whose values are symbols to macros?

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: Passing symbols whose values are symbols to macros?
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 12:50:08 +0000

I have a project with many subsystems.
I'd like to define a mode for the current subsystem of interest,
but not for all 200+ subsystems.
The mode(s) are based on compilation mode
but add customizations for handling local log files.

Doing this with macros seems like the obvious choice,
but, since I'll be constructing symbols at run time for the subsystem of
interest,
I'm having a very hard time using (defcustom).

I've been able to work around that by wrapping (defcustom) in another macro
that evals the argument that is the symbol for the customization and then calls
(defcustom)
but eval-ing args in macros is recommended against.
(I also suspect it won't play nicely once I try to compile it.)

Does anyone have any advice for how I might pass the value of a symbol (which
is a symbol)
to a macro that expects a symbol like (defcustom)?

Thanks.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

I once worked in a can recycling facility. It was soda pressing.