Re: emacs OSX initial frame does not show initial line

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: emacs OSX initial frame does not show initial line
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 13:49:06 +0200

don.rozenberg@gmail.com writes:

> I am running emacs 24.5.1 on an Apple Mini with 4 GB of memory and
> Yosemite.  When the initial frame is displayed the top line is not
> present no matter what I put in buffer.  If I create a new frame the
> top line is visible.  I could just create a new frame and abandon the
> original, but that is unattractive.

It was a bug occuring a few versions ago.
It was corrected or at least inactive in emacs-version "24.3.1" and a
couple of previous versions.

Just resizing the emacs window was enough for it to recompute and
redisplay the geometry correctly.

> As emacs starts a smaller window appears at the upper left of the
> screen and includes icons.  That window quickly disappears and is
> replaced by a frame located, colored, sized, and using my font
> according to my .emacs and sports no icons but it also does not
> display the first line of the the scratch buffer.  I am happy with the
> appearance of the window except for the missing line. The missing line
> persists no matter what I load into the buffer.
>
> If I then create a new frame, with the same dimensions specified in my
> .emacs, the contents are nearly the same as the previous frame but
> moved down one line to display the first line but missing the bottom
> line. Also, the new frame appears to be one line smaller.  I think I
> probable have done something mistaken in my .emacs.
>
> It appears that the original frame is 81x44 while the new frame is
> 81x43 whilst my .emacs specifies a height of 45 for both
> initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist. This is very confusing!
>
> I would appreciate any suggestion about how to make the initial frame
> appear as expected.

Perhaps adding something like:

    (let ((h (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'height))
          (w (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'width)))
      (set-frame-width  (selected-frame) (1- w))
      (set-frame-height (selected-frame) (1- h))
      (set-frame-width  (selected-frame) w)
      (set-frame-height (selected-frame) h))

at the end of ~/.emacs ?