RE: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispel

From: Jürgen Hartmann
Subject: RE: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choices*)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 12:20:07 +0200

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>>  Donau­Dampfschifffahrts-Gesellschafts­Kapitänskajüten­Schlüsselloch

>> and means "keyhole of the captain's cabin of the Donau steam shipping
>> society".
>
> Am I right that under the "old" rules, there should be a double "f", not
> a triple one?

Yes, that's right. You seem to be very familiar with this language--I guess
that there are even many German native speakers that don't remember that.

So with the "new" spelling the word became even longer. They are growing...

> I haven't been using Esperanto actively for more than two decades now,
> so I'm no authority, but my guess is: probably yes, though it might
> sound a bit strange or jocular - but from grammar point of view it's
> perfectly valid.  (In Esperanto, there is no such thing as "non-existent
> compound word": if you need it, you make it up, and if it satisfies the
> rules, it's fine.)  Most probably, though, an Esperanto-speaking
> mathematician would say "aro de arteorioj".

Ah, I see. This phrase is much clearer than the constructed compound

Juergen