Re: Control-C conundrum

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Control-C conundrum
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 17:44:00 -0700

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> Here's my problem :
> I have severe arthritis in my thumbs. When I use fingers in my left
> hand, bending down to reach the "c" key, I will shortly experience a
> lot of pain in the base of my left thumb.
>
> I can easily switch to C-l or C-o as the first keystroke for all
> prefix definitions just by redefining 'tj-leader.
>
> I'm aware that major or minor modes may use C-l or C-o, but I don't
> have any of the thumb pain when I use either C-l or C-o.

I say go for it (change `tj-leader' to `C-l' or `C-o'). If there are
important conflicts, you'll find them and figure out an alternative.

> One work-around that I have been considering is add-hook'ing an
> alternative binding (say, in place of C-o => C-o C-o) if I use a
> mode that remaps C-o.

Sounds reasonable to me. Since you're talking about rebinding a single
key, I don't think there will be an unmanageable number of conflicts.

I can't think of any minor modes that rebind `C-l' at the moment,
although I'm sure they exist.

--
john