Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Real-life examples of lexical binding in Emacs Lisp
Date: 29 May 2015 09:30:33 GMT

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> (Examples of general-purpose programming problems
> made easier with l.b. are more or less obvious/easy to find, but Emacs
> is a text editor, after all, and this is its primary area.)

Yes, Emacs is a text editor, but I'd say the primary purpose of Elisp is
to *implement* that editor. The fact that Elisp has more facilities for
editing text than most other programming languages is just a consequence
of that.

So presumably lexical binding was added to Elisp not so much because it
makes text editing easier, but because it makes implementing the text
editor easier.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)