Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:53:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu>
>> Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 10:50:20 -0400
>>
>> > No, it isn't, not in my Emacs.  It mentions PageUp/PageDown on line 65
>> > and arrow keys on line 76.  Subtract 15 lines of typographic
>> > conventions and 13 more lines "left blank for didactic purposes", and
>> > you get 37 and 48 lines to read until one sees these truisms -- a far
>> > cry from 200.
>>
>> Aren't those part of moving the cursor around? Maybe you misunderstood
>> him, he said that you have to read more than 200 lines until you learn
>> something OTHER THAN how to move the cursor around. Line 263 (on my
>> admittedly old version 22.3) is where it finally says "WHEN EMACS IS
>> HUNG", the first non-movement section.
>
> Yes, I gave him the benefit of the doubt about that.  If he really
> meant what he said, then I don't understand the whole quip.  What's a
> tutorial about an editor supposed to start with, if not basic cursor
> motion?  Which other editor has its tutorial start with something
> else?

https://atom.io/docs/v0.198.0/

Starts with "why atom is cool". Then explains basic concepts (including
"buffers" which mean exactly the same thing as in Emacs). The packages.

It does have a section on moving around, including keybindings, but it
starts by saying "using a mouse or the arrow keys works well". Their
basic introduction also includes snippets, version control, autocomplete
and folding.

Phil