Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 10:50:37 +0100

> Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Indeed, the participation would be needed. So start
>>> with the Emacs SX! But the sx.el people already did
>>> it (tho I didn't got it to work myself).
>>> But because they already did it (not NNTP perhaps
>>> but something to the extent of what we discuss)
>>
>> It's the Stackexchange API.
>
> Well, yeah :) A solution with Gnus would be a gateway
> from/to the NNTP protocol and the SX interface (or
> API). Actually Gnus can do and does other things than
> that (NNTP) but I don't see why anyone would choose
> the small shop when there is a big. Anyway if there
> already is considerable work on sx.el as it seems it
> might not be a real need to have it in Gnus as well.
> It would be nice tho, and it would make sense in terms
> of technology.

Yeah, it's something I'll keep on the back of my mind. The important
thing is that it's all in Emacs :)

> You don't need to worry about all that. It would only
> be a new *interface* to the SX sites (perhaps only the
> Emacs site as a pilot case). So you don't have to
> worry about doing everything SX does. You have only to
> make sure hooking to SX is done in the same way it
> happens when something is posted the ordinary way
> (i.e. with their web GUI). If you do that then SX will
> handle material the same way - how it originated (i.e.
> what interface was used) will not be considered -
> it'll be transparent to whatever checks and balances
> that kicks in at that point.
>
> Check out these extentions [1] to Emacs-w3m to see
> what I mean. Notice they mention Google, YouTube,
> different search sites like Wikipedia,
> the Urban Dictionary, and so on. Notice I don't do
> anything to replicate what functionality is on those
> sites - I only care about hooking to them the same way
> their web GUIs are. If you do that spotlessly they
> have no choice but to give ou what you want. If they
> don't, that means their own services are down.
>
> [1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-unisearch.el
>     http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/isbn.el

I took a quick glance. Are you referring to things like this snippet?

  (w3m-web-search
   "https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&q=%s";
   (get-search-string "image"))

I think this sort of thing would work for browsing and searching on
the stack exchange network, but posting isn't done like that in the
web GUI (though I haven't investigated into how it's done, it's
probably javascript).