hideshow bug with json-mode

From: Andrew Pennebaker
Subject: hideshow bug with json-mode
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 12:37:57 -0500

If I don't carefully position my cursor right on the opening curly brace,
then hideshow toggles the parent block instead of the current line's block.

package.json:

{
  "name": "dotfiles",
  "repository": {
    "type": "git"
  }
}

Steps to reproduce:

M-g g 3
M-x hs-toggle-hiding RET

Expected:

{
  "name": "dotfiles",
  "repository": { ... }
}

Observed:

{ ... }

This problem only happens in certain major modes; python-mode with
hs-minor-mode works as expected, whereas json-mode with hs-minor-mode
features this problem.

Any suggestions for configuration to work around this problem? I considered
adding advice to automatically go to the end of line before toggling, but
this doesn't work when re-showing the block, as the cursor needs to be on
the brace ({), but before the ellipsis (...).

--
Cheers,
Andrew