Re: Standard Elisp debugger vs. Edebug

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Standard Elisp debugger vs. Edebug
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 08:14:24 +0200

Hi Marcin,

> there are two Elisp debuggers built into Emacs: the "standard"
> debugger and Edebug.
>
> Edebug seems more powerful and easier to use.
>
> The obvious question arises: is there any reason to use the standard
> debugger at all?

Yes, totally!  The standard debugger just works whereas with edebug you
already need to know which function(s) you are interested to debug and
then instrument them.  So I usually set `debug-on-error' or
`debug-on-quit' to be put in the standard debugger in case of an error
or quit/C-g (when debugging inf-loops or too long computation times).
>From the backtrace I get then, I can narrow down the relevant functions
and then edebug them.  (Well, with some kinds of errors like wrong
number of args, there's even no need for edebugging anymore.)

Bye,
Tassilo