Re: reddit

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: reddit
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 01:28:40 +0200

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> Well in the context of technology, modern generally
> means tools that keep up-to-date with the latest
> improvements and changes in technology and culture.

Emacs should be up-to-date with improvements if they
actually are improvements and apply to the Emacs
field, which granted is big. You'll see there is
constant activity with Emacs all over the place. If,
even so, none of that picks up on the supposed
improvements, that tells me it probably wasn't
worthwhile to begin with.

And that brings me to the next point, which is, what
improvements exactly do you have in mind, which Emacs
hasn't benefited from because of negligence from the
Emacs community?

> Who's going to take carry Emacs over for the next
> few generations?

Those with skills and style.

> These excuses of "hey, look, I can implement that
> feature in 10k lines of Elisp!! Emacs is just as
> usable and feature-full!!!!!!!!" just don't fly in
> the today's world where there are 10's of IDEs that
> have an easier user experience.

What features are you talking about? And how do you
think those features are implemented in those IDEs?
Besides, what are those IDEs? Eclipse? MS Access?

If you are used to clicking the mouse and browsing
menus and all that there is a transition phase when
you re-learn. This is nothing dramatic and very
pleasant because you literally feel the power
increasing for every keystroke (at least in the
beginning). Because it is more pleasant, fun, and
interesting, growth is exponential. You'll smash
through the roof of those IDEs in no time.

Also, how "easy" something is day one doesn't matter.
It is how *powerful* it is the 100th day, and the
1000th day - and how much you enjoy doing it.

> Reddit and stackexchange are far more user friendly
> than antiquated mailing lists

Just like with Emacs and the shell, with mailing lists
(newsgroups), you can be who you want to be and do
what you want to do. You can get new skills and new
realizations. You can even behave like a moron.
This is what I mean by self-expression. On the
SX-sites - just try to write what you just wrote and
see what happens!

> liberalism always wins out over dogmatic old-school
> conservatism

I think the dogmatism is on the IDEs and forums and
SX-sites where the rules (dogmatism) is built-in.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573