Re: [screenshot] Emacs instant colors (and the Elisp full cycle)

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: [screenshot] Emacs instant colors (and the Elisp full cycle)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 19:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 4:04:22 AM UTC+5:30, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Rusi writes:
>
> >> If you understand exactly what I mean, take a look
> >> at this screenshot to be even more confused:
> >>
> >>     http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/instant-colors.png
> >
> > Cute!
>
> Ain't it the truth!
>
> But it is also practical because often you do not
> remember what face is which color.
>
> For the purists, agreed, this is non-textbook usage
> because the thought is of course to set those faces to
> something sensible (sensible colors) *once*, and from
> that point use the faces semantically, to express
> purpose - the assumption being their color values make
> sense. However, it has happened to me many times that
> I do *not* use them that way but instead use them as
> mere (?) placeholders for face colors, and then it is
> very useful to just type the face name to see the
> color it represents.
>
> Besides, in principle it doesn't conflicts supposedly
> (?) proper usage to have them in cool colors, only
> then that is more a cool stunt rather than an
> advantage in productivity as well.
>
> > As it happens I was trying to illustrate/educate
> > folks on the python list on something very similar
> > about the nature and power of lisp:
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/QF0-A1F4miw/GOHMu0HNZocJ
>
> Holly would if she could. If you have a non-JavaScript
> version of that I'll read it.

Thread starts here
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2015-April/701924.html

BartC asks for switchable syntax:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2015-April/701998.html

Dan Sommers understands that "you want Lisp, the programmable programming
language." :
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2015-April/702018.html

Subsequent would show that no one really understands what lisp is about
or even the possibility of  'switchable syntax'

> > If you tell me the underlying machinery, I'll point
> > them to it. [Or of course you can join that
> > conversation]
>
> You ask me to tell you so THEY will understand? :)
>
> Well, in the smallest possible picture, it is very
> simple. When the face names themselves are typed in
> a buffer, they appear in the same color as they would
> give the entities that are associated with them.
> This makes it is easier to set up such associations
> because you can see on the face name what the result
> will be.
>
> What this illustrates on a somewhat bigger scale is
> that Elisp is used to improve the tool which you use
> to write Elisp.
>
> On the biggest scale it is the computer exponential
> success story with computers and programmers taking
> turns making each other better. That is in principle
> equally true with bulky compiled languages (like C),
> however with Lisp (and not just this particular
> example) you can feel it instantly. It is a mighty
> realization, even for a might programmer.
>
> Did that make sense? Perhaps only to people who
> already understand it. Remember the words of
> Saint Morpheus: "Unfortunately, no one can be told
> what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

The broader picture(s) is fine; I was asking specifically about the fontlock
Is it vanilla FL or have you done something to make the name of the facename
have the color named?
Because it is exactly this kind of 'introspection' that that thread
(non)understands