Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speck (Spell checker for Emacs)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:34:37 +0300

> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:20:14 +0200
> From: Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> ​It might sound weird, but here is where I've got so far. First of all, it was
> important to change
>
>     (expand-file-name "share/hunspell" ...

>     (expand-file-name "share/hunspell/" ...

I did that without even thinking; it's always safe to have a trailing
slash.

> Secondly, even after that, it still reported the same error.

Not here, it didn't.

> Lastly, when I said that it works I only meant that there are no more errors
> and I see [en] in green color in the mode line, but nothing is actually
> highlighted in the buffer, while clearly there are wrongly spelled words. When
> it works for you, does speck automatically highlight misspelled words?

Of course.  How else would I know it "worked"?

Anyway, here's the full recipe that works for me in Emacs 24.5:

 . emacs -Q

 . Insert this into *scratch*:

   (setq speck-hunspell-program (executable-find "hunspell"))
   (setq speck-hunspell-coding-system (quote utf-8))
   (setq speck-hunspell-dictionary-alist
         (quote (("en" . "en_US")
                 ("ru" . "ru_RU"))))
   (setq speck-hunspell-default-dictionary-name "en")

 . Mark all of the above and type "M-x eval-region RET"

 . Type "M-x set-variable RET speck-hunspell-library-directory RET"
   and type the correct directory, with the trailing slash, in quotes,
   at the prompt.

 . M-x speck-mode RET

Now type some mis-spelled word followed by a blank, and wait for a
second: the mis-spelled word will be marked with a red underline.