Re: how to change language of format-date-string

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: how to change language of format-date-string
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 03:41:16 +0100

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> I would like to change the language that
> format-date-string assumes, as my OS is not in
> English for leaning purposes.

When it comes to computers, there isn't a leaner
language than the old Anglo-American. So that won't
work anyway. If you want to learn such stuff, you are
not helped by the computer, on the contrary.
Remember the words of Dr. Jones, "If you want to be
a good archaeologist, you gotta get out of
the library."

> I tried to issue (set-language-environment
> "English"), but this does not seem to have
> an effect.

See? This is no use. Set the whole damn computer to
English, then turn it off and do that other thing,
then come back and do computer things (in English)
which is what the computer is intended for.

Some people (not you) say computers are not of any
particular language, the use "symbols", the "interface
is completely intuitive", etc. - this is total
bullcrap. Computers are in Anglo-American and there is
no way around it, nor is such a way desired.

But: when you say, format-date-string, do you mean
`format-time-string'? Put it this way, what would you
like the `format-time-string' to output?

--
underground experts united