Re: ps-print cuts off footers

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: ps-print cuts off footers
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 20:43:49 +0100

() Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>
() Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:50:57 +0000

   a misunderstanding, my fault.

Well, let's share the fault, then we can share the (eventual)
glory of resolving the problem.  :-D

   The above settings are not the ones used for stampa.ps.
   Instead, stampa.ps had the only setting:

    (setq ps-print-footer t)

   and nothing else.  Besides, the footer is cut off - its upper
   half, exactly - *also without* footer frame, i.e. with footer
   frame set to `nil'.

   It's really a problem because I've always been largely using
   Emacs and ps-print package.  Also from gv mailing list it
   seems to turn out the ps file to be incorrect.  It is
   generated by ps-print, from whose maintainer I didn't yet get
   a reply to my message.  I really don't know what to do.  What
   do you suggest?

OK, i see in the original stampa.ps (at the top of the thread),
line 217 does indeed read:

 /PrintFooterFrame   false def

so that was a false alarm.  Since clipping is the immediate
manifestation, one workaround is to disable clipping.  You can
do that by the definition of ‘FooterText’ (line 1070) to:

 /FooterText{
   %gsave FooterClip
   FooterLinesRight FooterLinesLeft
   /FooterStart FooterLineHeight FooterPad
   FooterFrameProperties 0 get
   HeaderOrFooterText
   %grestore
 }def

(We just comment out ‘gsave FooterClip’ and ‘grestore’.)
For me, that change allows the full page number to show.
Here is a small sed script that you can use to automake the
workaround while you resolve things w/ the Author:

Save to file noclip.sed and run it like so:

 $ sed -f noclip.sed stampa.ps > stampa-noclip.ps

I suspect the root cause is an OBOE in the calculation of the
‘FooterHeight’ but that again(!) is idle speculation...  i'll
bow out of this thread now, but hope to see you post the nitty
gritty debugging and resolution findings, "infuturo".  :-D

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502