Re: project-management

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: project-management
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:35:22 +0000

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 05:54:40 UTC, Sharon Kimble  wrote:
>> I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
>> documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
>> finding a problem in "project management".
>
> As others have mentioned, projectile [1] is good for a wide range of
> project types, but doesn't really do "project management" as such. I
> mainly use it for development projects, as it provides standardised
> keybindings for concepts such as project-wide search, replace and build.
>
> But the big thing for your particular use case, assuming you haven't
> already seen it, is org-mode[2]. It is *incredible* and supports both
> inline and block LaTeX. It sounds weird until you use it, but org-mode
> works as both a typesetting language (typically by exporting to the more
> verbose LaTeX) and a TODO organiser. I strongly recommend reading the
> "compact" manual to get a flavour. It is the kitchen sink within the
> kitchen sink.

Thanks, but org-mode doesn't give me the fine control that I get
with latex. I've tried writing an ebook with org-mode, and I just
ended up feeling very restricted. Only writing it direct into latex
fulfils my needs and gives me the ability to fine-tune the output to
give exceedingly good pdf's.

The only way that org-mode is useful is to hold a link to the master
document for each project.

I'm aware of "pandoc" and would use it if I was writing in "muse",
but that doesn't allow me the ability to fine-tune the output.

To see what I mean, you can have a read of the "Obnam manual", or
"The Quick And Dirty Guide To ”Get-Iplayer”", or the "Beeb manual",
all from "http://www.sharons.org.uk";.

Thanks
Sharon.

> I've even used it with pandoc[3] (a universal document converter tool) to
> produce presentations and accompanying speaker notes[4].
>
> [1] https://github.com/bbatsov/projectile
> [2] http://orgmode.org/
> [3] https://github.com/jgm/pandoc
> [4] http://fommil.github.io/scalax14/#/ sources at
> https://github.com/fommil/scalax-linear-algebra
>

> Best regards,
> Sam

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.6, emacs 24.4.1.0