Re: Two escapes as a prefix

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Two escapes as a prefix
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 07:35:39 -0900

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [150212 19:07]:
> * Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> [150212 18:19]:
> > Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
> >
> > > To be clear, I'm proposing alternate bindings, so possible
> > > overwrites by incidental major or minor modes wouldn't "cripple"
> > > me.
> > >
> > > I'd welcome comments and observations. I expect I will be
> > > edified serendipitously.
> >
> > That seems like a great idea.  For some reason though it seems to
> > interfer with the key's normal functioning.  If I bind '(kbd "ESC
> > M-p")' then the intended key works but, the normal 'p' key stops
> > working.  I could see why this could happen on terminals, though I
> > don't understand why it happens on Emacs in X.
>   It sounds like we have a bit of an experiment and it just might be
>   platform-and-guid-dependant. I'm going to play with some bindings
>   on _Saturday_ (not Friday) and see what I find. And in the
>   meantime, looking forward to more comments.

;; So far I have these alternate bindings
(global-set-key (kbd "ESC M-a") 'beginning-of-buffer)
(global-set-key (kbd "ESC M-e") 'end-of-buffer)
(global-set-key (kbd "ESC M-RET") 'tj-toggle-bookmark)
(global-set-key (kbd "ESC C-M-n") 'bm-next)
(global-set-key (kbd "ESC C-M-p") 'bm-previous)
(global-set-key (kbd "ESC M-n") 'global-next-subroutine)
(global-set-key (kbd "ESC M-p") 'global-previous-subroutine)
;; and all seem to work
;; FYI: Some are wrappers of my own derivation
cheers
--
Tim