Re: Dynamically switching send-mail settings

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: Re: Dynamically switching send-mail settings
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:54:12 -0500

In this case it happens even if not a gmail account, and unfortunately a new
day didn't fix it. Two questions: First, with this message:

    Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 587
smtp.gmail2.com'...failed
    Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 587 smtp.gmail2.com
--protocols ssl3'...failed
    Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect smtp.gmail2.com:587
-no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...done

Is it expected to cycle through different TLS methods?
Second, could my change be occurring too late? Right now I have my function on
a hook as follows:
(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'change-smtp)
;(add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'change-smtp)

I've tried both hooks (one is supposed to be earlier in the send process) and
the results don't change. The original version that worked <24.4 didn't use a
hook it all; as far as I can tell it did some magic I don't understand with
this:

(defvar %smtpmail-via-smtp (symbol-function 'smtpmail-via-smtp))

(defun smtpmail-via-smtp (recipient smtpmail-text-buffer)
  (with-current-buffer smtpmail-text-buffer
    (change-smtp))
  (funcall (symbol-value '%smtpmail-via-smtp) recipient
           smtpmail-text-buffer))

Is changing the server/port settings in one of the send-hooks too late? And
what is that original magic with the symbols and symbol-function?