Re: PDF breaks emacs (PDF-Tools)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: PDF breaks emacs (PDF-Tools)
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 17:03:57 +0100

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Ok, now I had to check it out, and Andreas, it's a really superb
> package.

Yes, it is. Not as good as a fully-fledged pdf reader, but quite
interesting when you add to its basic viewer capabilities the features
provided by Emacs integration.

[snip]

> But Troy is correct.  The PDF he links makes emacs freeze, although I've
> been able to recover by hitting `C-g' repeatedly.  The result was that
> the raw PDF data was shown.

FWIW, the author already fixed the problem.

[snip]

> Andreas, do you plan to propose PDF Tools for inclusion in Emacs?

Including it on Emacs would be a good thing since it is an hybrid
Elisp+C extension and building the C part is not trivial on certain
environments (including some GNU/Linux distros that do not install a C
compiler by default, not to mention libpoppler).

OTOH anything that is included into the Emacs core is hampered by the
glacial pace of the Emacs release rate.

[snip]