Re: Easy/Possible to globally change prompt strings of messages? e.g. ch

From: Chris Seberino
Subject: Re: Easy/Possible to globally change prompt strings of messages? e.g. changing find-file's prompt string from "Find file:" to "open file:" ?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:58:40 -0800 (PST)

Michael

I tried using the function below....the advice-add part gave an error..

 function definition is void: advice-add
(Emacs ver 24.3)

When I removed the advice-add part it seems to work!!  i.e. this works...

(defun my-find-file-around-ad (origfun &rest args)
  (interactive
   (find-file-read-args "Open file: "
                        (confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer)))
  (apply origfun args))

The only problem is when I use TAB completion to replace abbreviations,
it appends the TAB to the end instead of *replacing it*....find-file
does it right and I was hoping using find-file-read-args would work right
too but it didn't.  Do you know why TAB remains unlike with find-file?