Re: Ding doing nothing

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Ding doing nothing
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 20:45:19 +0100

On 2015-01-09, at 20:26, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2015-01-09 19:38 +0100, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
>> M-: (ding) does not make any sound (I use Ubuntu Linux and did not mess
>> around with sound setting).  I can hear no sound in the graphical Emacs
>> interface as well as in the terminal (both a terminal program under
>> X and the text mode).  What might be the cause?  Visible bell works just
>> right (if I turn it on, that is.)  Of course, I did my checks with
>> emacs -Q.
>
> Probably that's because (ding) uses the PC speaker, and Ubuntu disables
> it by default.  If you run "sudo modprobe pcspkr", does the bell work?

Nope.  Stupid Ubuntu.  It's making me more and more angry.  I though it
is me (the owner of the machine) who should decide what is turned on and
what is turned off.  Of course, in the "system settings" dialog there
was no suitable option.  Why bother using Ubuntu over, say, Arch, if
I have to hunt for text config files in /etc anyway?

> To enable the PC speaker permanently, comment out the line with
> "blacklist pcspkr" in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.

Thanks a lot!  I guess I'll restart my computer /only/ to check whether
this works.

> Cheers,
>        Sven

Best,