Re: How do I make windows emacs display PNG and JPEG images?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How do I make windows emacs display PNG and JPEG images?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 17:58:19 +0200

> From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:54:31 +0100
>
>  Windows 8 Home Edition 64bit
>  GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
>  From ezwinports[1]:
>   jpeg-v9a-w32-bin.zip
>   libpng-1.6.12-w32-bin.zip
>
> I have downloaded the jpeg and libpng zip files from ezwinports[1] and
> unpacked them and put the following .dll files in the emacs bin
> directory:
>  libpng16-16.dll (dated: 2014-06-21)
>  zlib1.dll       (dated: 2008-07-13)
>  libjpeg-9.dll   (dated: 2014-06-21)

You should put _all_ the files in bin/ that you find in the *.zip
files, not just select DLLs.

Also, the date of zlib1.dll looks old.

But I don't think these are the reasons for your problems.

> However, emacs still starts up without PNG and JPEG support.  The
> following expressions both eval to nil in the scratch buffer:
>  (image-type-available-p 'jpeg)
>  (image-type-available-p 'png)
>
> Is there a way to debug this further?  Do I have to copy some of the exe
> files as well as the dll files?

What are the versions of the libraries against which the Emacs binary
was built?  Look at the values of the variables libpng-version and
libjpeg-version: do they match the versions of the DLLs you installed?
(There's some explanation of this near line 200 of w32-win.el.)