Re: The euro symbol in emacs

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: The euro symbol in emacs
Date: 5 Dec 2014 10:21:48 GMT

Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
> This sounds like the way to go, but it doen't seem to work. Tried the
> minibuffer-local-map as well as all other minibuffer-*-map maps that are
> listed when completing F1 v minibuffer-
>
> Well, I'll stick with C-X 8 RET 20AC for now...

IMHO you're going about this the wrong way. What you should probably be
using is an input method (see the Emacs manual for details). If you set
(or customize) the variable `default-input-method' to something like
"latin-9-prefix", you can use C-\ to toggle the input method and then
type the Euro symbol with the sequence «~e» (without the guillemets, of
course). This also works in the minibuffer, to the extent it makes sense
(e.g., in isearch-(for|back)ward, etc. The isearch prompt ever tells you
that an input method is active.) The latin-9-prefix input method also
allows you to type other characters, such as ë, é, è, ï, ç, etc.

Another method is to configure your keyboard layout in such a way that
you can type the Euro symbol by using some modifier key. AFAIK in
Windows and OS X this is already configured, though you'll need to find
out which key combo to use. On Window, I think it's AltGr+2 or AltGr+e,
on OS X ⌥⇧2 (option-shift-2). On Linux, you may need to configure it
yourself, or it may already be set up, depending on your distro / window
manager.

If you really want to use Super-2, it's probably better to (on Linux)
use Xmodmap or your WM's keyboard settings. That way, the method works
in every app that supports the Euro symbol, not just in Emacs, and it'll
work in the minibuffer as well without having to hunt down the correct
keymap variables.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm