Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 15:13:09 -0500

Rostislav Svoboda <rostislav.svoboda@gmail.com> writes:

>> 1. I don't know much about it
>> 2. It's bad.
>
> In general this argumentation may appear in a new light if one restates
> it as:
>
> 1. I don't know much about it, because it is/looks too complicated
> and/or hard to learn.

Strangely enough, those are not the complaints I see.
Number one is "unix philosophy", followed closely by
monolithic.

Of course one program than changes dozens of scripts to data files
is monolithic.  But I don't hear anyone saying they used to be able
to do "x" in a script and systemd can't do  the same.  In fact,
systemd was able to duplicate the function of all those scrupts.

> Take as an example the crontab editing. Not really that complicated
> but definitely nothing for a newbie.  (BTW I just opened it using
> nano, so from now on nano is my default crontab editor - and now I
> gotta figure out how to undo this setting. Whata shot in a leg!)

I just used nano to open my "cron.linux" file.  To special joy at all.
Then I tried x.cron but nano didn't seem excited.

However, emacs does something useful with the comments at the
end of my cron.linux file:

# Local Variables:
# compile-command: "crontab ~/cron.linux"
# End:

--
Dan Espen