Re: `rgrep' not working

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: `rgrep' not working
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 03:17:03 +0100

Massimo Gengarelli <massimo.gengarelli@gmail.com>
writes:

> Everytime I try to run it, I receive a weird error
> like: `Symbol's function definition is void: \,'

What input do you give it? (When the prompt says
"Search for (something): ", what do you type before
you hit RET?)

> Please note that `grep-find', `lgrep' and `ag' are
> all working properly. I am not using any weird
> plugin for grep, and the issue is reproducible even
> without loading my init.el file (i.e., running emacs
> -Q).

If you provide us with more information, we'll try to
reproduce it as well :)

> Since I'm quite a newbie with Emacs, could you
> please help me in debugging? I thought that rgrep
> was an user-friendly version of `grep-find', but I
> think I was wrong since the latter is working. :-)

I don't think that is it. `rgrep' has another
interface. The "r" is either "recursive" or, more
likely, "regular expression" or "regexp" as it is
called in the help for rgrep. Which I think is the key
to your problem, because you probably gave it some
strange input which isn't interpreted literally.

> I also tried the following:
>
>> C-h f rgrep With C-u prefix, you can edit the
>> constructed shell command line before it is
>> executed. With two C-u prefixes, directly edit and
>> run `grep-find-command'.

Meta: It is a good idea to find some other way to
quote arbitrary material, because that which you just
used will be interpreted as a citation from a previous
poster and by some clients even hidden by default.

> But apparently the issue is at an higher level as I
> am not able to edit the constructed shell command
> line. The two C-u prefixes are working fine though.
>
> Is there something I am missing?

I think so: again, what input do you give it? I think
if you tell us that the problem will be instantly
solved :)

--
underground experts united