Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:28:54 -0700

Raffaele Ricciardi wrote:
> The usefulness of frames is evident for buffers that update their content
> according to the current buffer (like Speedbar and ECB). Besides this kind
> of use, when do you prefer frames instead of windows?

I have seen a lot of commentary about frames.  One thing that has been
missing is the discussion of the window manager used to manage those
frames.  It really isn't possible to talk about emacs and frame
management without also involving the window manager.  "Ay, there's
the rub."  And that is as personal of a choice as the choice of
editor.  Focus follows mouse?  Click to focus?  Click to raise?
Autoraise?  Tiling?  Single or multiple screens?  The combination of
possibilities will create a large number of answers.  None of which is
canonically correct.  All are correct for that individual.

Personally I tend to use one frame for everything.  I sometimes use
additional frames but only rarely.

Bob