Re: how to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse

From: JohnF
Subject: Re: how to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 02:59:47 +0000 (UTC)

Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
> JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> writes:
>>     I've failed to google how to stop that. What can I put
>> in .emacs so that the point/cursor remains stationary on
>> the screen, rather than following the text, when scrolling
>> with the mouse? Thanks,
>
> AFAIK `centered-cursor-mode' makes Emacs behave like that:
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/centered-cursor-mode.el
> Michael.

Thanks, but that's an awful lot of elisp. I'll probably just let
emacs have its own way rather than try to import all that stuff.
I was hoping for something more like
  (setq mouse-wheel-follow-mouse 't)
But I can't google anything like it that does what I want.
Right now, I've got it working okay for keyboard input, i.e.,
     up/down arrow: Cursor moves up/down one line per keypress
         and text remains stationary. When cursor reaches top/bottom
         of the window, text scrolls one line up/down per corresponding
         keypress while cursor remains stationary at top/bottom.
     page up/down: text scrolls one page up/down while cusor remains
         stationary at all times.
What I want for mouse wheel scroll or for mouse dragging slider bar
is the same as for page up/down, i.e., text scrolls while cursor
remains stationary at all times. But what I'm getting is
     for both wheel and slider bar: Cursor moves along with text.
         When cursor tries to scroll above top of window, it jumps
         to 12th line down from top. Ditto when cursor tries to
         scroll below bottom of window, it jumps all the way back
         to 12th line from top.
--
John Forkosh  ( mailto:  j@f.com  where j=john and f=forkosh )