Re: no C-h i m emacs ??

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: no C-h i m emacs ??
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:02:14 -0500

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> So with all this installed:
>>
>> aps emacs|grep ^i
>> i   emacs-goodies-el        - Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
>> i A emacs24-bin-common      - GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture de
>> i A emacs24-common          - GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture in
>> i   emacs24-el              - GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files
>> i   emacs24-lucid           - GNU Emacs editor (with Lucid GUI support)
>> i A emacsen-common          - Common facilities for all emacsen
>>
>> I still have no emacs-info files.
>
> I posted about this recently.  Please see this:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2014-07/msg00140.html
>
> To install the info files enable non-free in sources.list and then
> install the emacs24-common-non-dfsg package.

After seeing the response to my query.... I was amazed that I had
missed this old issue for yrs now.

Wondering how I missed noticing this problem for yrs ....

Finally I realized that I haven't used a pre-packaged emacs for years
but always built from source... even  having both debian pkg installed
to satisfy Debians pkg requirements but all the while instinctively
setting paths in site-start.el to the built and compiled version
installed from git or bzr in a --prefix=[...].

So, of course, the info files were available.  Consequently I've been
unburdened by what appears to be a baloney argument until now.

I got lazy and now see the error of my ways [...]

OK, building my own 24.4 as well as 25....  stepping around the issue.