Re: syntax highlighting

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: syntax highlighting
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 22:16:24 +0100

M P <mzp3769@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to turn of syntax highlighting. The
> screen glows in all colors of the rainbow - thats is
> tiring for the eyes, Mark

That is perhaps tiring for *your* eyes...

I think syntax highlighting is indispensible. It makes
it look more fun and it increases "seeing" as opposed
to reading.

Just think of the how the traffic lights work. Imagine
if they instead of red, yellow and green showed the
letters G, H, and S (for "go", "halt", and "stop").

Colors are emotional, text is intellectual. So colors
are great for expressing what they can express, which
granted is a limited scope, but a very important one
nevertheless.

If your eyes are bad, that sucks. I had that problem
for years.

Here are some tips that might work for you:

* use a bright-text-on-black-background theme (less
  information to enter your eyes/brain)

* use a projector; setup a large font

* disable everything superfluous, like shiny scroll
  bars and such

* disable all "jitter", as in the blinking cursor

* don't use the mouse as you have to reset your eyes
  and aim to click on icons and letters

* outside of the computer world, don't use shampoo
  (sounds silly to mention, but that really works so I
  have to do it), and don't drink stuff that will make
  you dehydrated, which is basically everything but
  water

Good luck!

--
underground experts united