Re: DocView: process ps->pdf changed status to killed.

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: Re: DocView: process ps->pdf changed status to killed.
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 17:09:20 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:25:37 +0200

> Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net> writes:
>
> Hi Pierre,
>
>> I get error message in the subject when doing C-c C-c in a buffer
>> visiting a ps file and I cannot figure out why.
>>
>> Emacs version is 24.3.1
>>
>> When doing C-c C-c I get a message syaing that no conversion to images
>> can be done since there are no tools to do that on my system. In fact
>> I am blind and only interested to text. Anyway normally if you press y
>> key text should be displayed using first a conversion to pdf and then
>> a conversion to text.
>>
>> But process dies at first step as shown by the error message.
>>
>> doc-view-pdftotext-program variable is set to ps2pdf (or ps2pdf13) but
>> both gives the same result.  Even if the two scripts ps2pdf and
>> ps2pdf13 exist on my system and run perfectly when launched from the
>> console.
>
> Hm, you could try to evaluate the following piece of advice:
>
>   (defadvice doc-view-start-process (before doc-view-show-cmd-line activate)
>     (message "doc-view-start-process:\n  %s %s"
>               program (mapconcat #'concat args " ")))
>
> That will print the exact command lines doc-view executes in the
> *Messages* buffer.  The command that doesn't work should be just before
> the error message in the subject.  Then copy the command line and check
> if it works indeed in a terminal.

  I get following in mmessage buffer :

Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.
No PNG support is available, or some conversion utility for ps files is missing.
Error during redisplay: (eval (number-to-string (doc-view-current-page)))
signaled (wrong-type-argument numberp nil) [2 times]
Unable to render file.  View extracted text instead? (y or n)  y
doc-view-start-process:
  ps2pdf -dSAFER /home/devel/test.ps
/tmp/docview1001/test.ps-932911a0f86866e1b95b1aaf506a818b/doc.pdf
Error during redisplay: (eval (number-to-string (doc-view-current-page)))
signaled (wrong-type-argument numberp nil)
Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document. [2 times]
DocView: process ps->pdf changed status to killed.

Command ps2pdf -dSAFER /home/devel/test.ps
/tmp/docview1001/test.ps-932911a0f86866e1b95b1aaf506a818b/doc.pdf
executed in a console works perfectly ...

Regards

Pierre