Re: Markup to export to .docx

From: Brady Trainor
Subject: Re: Markup to export to .docx
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:30:49 -0700

Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT@familycareinc.org> writes:

> Hi, I know this must be possible, and I'm hoping someone has a simple
> solution so I don't have to go about it the long hard way of trial and
> error.
> I'm looking to do the following:
> Take .org documents
> Possibly add some simple markup IE \bold, \italics, \bullet
> Nothing complex, probably not even tables.
> Export it to .docx format .
> I'm stuck in Windows world at work, and occasionally need to produce
> documents for other members of my team in Word format (possibly PDF,
> but Word is better)
> I have emacs and Cygwin functioning, but have limited ability to install
> other software.
> Having trouble with the ODT exporter as the firewall blocks all the
> download sites I can find for infozip, and I can't get it to use the
> Cygwin one for some reason
> Thanks!

I've done this before, not recently. But I'm not sure about your
firewall issues. Does your Libre Office come with the unoconv tool?

I think org-mode has an option for this, but it may be using unoconv in
the background. From

http://orgmode.org/manual/Extending-ODT-export.html#x-export-to-other-formats

we discover the variable org-odt-preferred-output-format.

With that info, I can search my archive file and I find this

(setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "odt"
      org-export-odt-prettify-xml nil
      org-export-odt-styles-file OrgOdtStyles.xml
      org-odt-data-dir "/e/emacs-config/"
      org-odt-styles-dir "/e/emacs-config/styles/")

You probably only need the first line, with "docx" instead, but I
include the other lines in case it gives you ideas.

Brady