Re: Multiple M-x shells sharing input ring

From: Joseph Xu
Subject: Re: Multiple M-x shells sharing input ring
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 00:33:57 -0700

Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with
elisp, and most of the discussion went over my head.

In the end I was able to get the behavior I wanted by just adding a hook to
comint-input-filter-functions that executes comint-read-input-ring, which
reloads the history ring from file after every command. This only works
because I use zsh and have SHARED_HISTORY on, so every executed command is
immediately written to ~/.history. Not very elegant, but I don't have to
hack elisp, and has the extra benefit of being able to share history with
other terminals.

Regards,
Joseph