Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:30:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:47:42 AM UTC+5:30, Jai Dayal wrote:
> Actually, nope. When I decide to install an OS, say CentOS, I do not expect
> to find a discussion on the pluses and minuses of CentOS on the
> installation page. That's a completely different topic that has nothing to
> do with CentOS installation.

In the FLOSS world what Jai is describing is the norm:

For any system X

- the X-folks talk of how to use and only its pros
- the anti-X folks have all the time to bash unconstructively
- a very short supply of balanced reasonable comparison and useful workarounds

Jai seems to think this is a good separation.

Personally I often find FLOSS folks at least as dishonest as the corporate types
[No surprise, given that human beings are the same...]

And diplomatic silence is often the most painful (for me) kind of dishonesty.

Example:

I joined the Linux audio list when I was having a hell of a time with some
beast called pulseaudio. [I'm just an amateur musician... wanted to type
some music... NO clue or interest in pulseaudio... Evidently it was obstructing
something]

I got some vague 'pro-pulseaudio' response on how to solve my problem.
Nothing else. And my problem remained unsolved.

After hanging around the list for months I slowly discovered that
- most everyone hates pulse
- people are doing apt-get purge pulse as routine
- when that fails they are changing distros

The fact that it took me months to find that out is what I call
'dishonest diplomacy'