Re: visiting remote files on webserver

From: lee
Subject: Re: visiting remote files on webserver
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:30:18 +0200

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> saint@eng.it writes:
>>
>>> lee writes:
>>>  > Hi,
>>>  >
>>>  > isn't something like the following already available by default:
>>>  >
>>>  >
>>>  > (defun my-curl-find-file ()
>>>  >   "Use curl to retrieve something and create a buffer to display what
>>>  > was retrieved.
>>>
>>> What about:
>>>
>>> (find-file "/scp:user@machie:/path/to/file")
>>>
>>> it is possible to use it interactively
>>>
>>> C-x C-f /scp:user@machine:/path/to/file
>>
>> That requires to be able to log in to the remote host.  In this
>> particular case, I wanted to get a script from some web server I don't
>> have any special access to.  I could have downloaded and saved and
>> visited it, but why not load it directly into a buffer.
>
> The url package does this, you could start with url-retrieve and
> url-retrieve-synchronously.

Hm, yes, I thought it did, and there are a number of url-.* functions
available, like url-handler-mode.  There aren't any to retrieve an url,
though.

Is the url package part of emacs, or do I need to install it?

--
GNU Emacs 24.4.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-08-17 on yun.yagibdah.de