Re: How to use dired to return a file or directory name

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: How to use dired to return a file or directory name
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:58:45 -0800

* Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> [140625 14:36]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
<...>
> > I'd like to be able to use dired (or something similar) to
> > select a directory name or a desktop name.
> >
> > 1)Dired shows directories only
> >   Some action or command closes the dired buffer and returns a
> >   selected directory name as a string.
> >
> > 2)Dired shows directories and a filtered file list - example
> >   "*.emacs.desktop" and some action or command returns a selected
> >   file name as a string.
>
> Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but inside dired
>
> ,----[ C-h f dired-copy-filename-as-kill RET ]
> | dired-copy-filename-as-kill is an interactive compiled Lisp function
> | in `dired.el'.
> |
> | (dired-copy-filename-as-kill &optional ARG)
> |
> | Copy names of marked (or next ARG) files into the kill ring.
> | The names are separated by a space.
> | With a zero prefix arg, use the absolute file name of each marked file.
> | With C-u, use the file name relative to the dired buffer's
> | `default-directory'.  (This still may contain slashes if in a subdirectory.)
> |
> | If on a subdir headerline, use absolute subdirname instead;
> | prefix arg and marked files are ignored in this case.
> |
> | You can then feed the file name(s) to other commands with C-y.
  Hello Thorsten:

  I have looked at that function, but what I was hoping to find
  something that returned a variable. (as opposed to adding to the
  kill ring)
  So as an example for 1) :
  (setq selected-directory
    (browse-directories-from-current-directory))
  Actually, I've written a defun already that uses (directory-files)
  and (x-popup-menu), so 2) is solved for me now.

  thanks for the quick reply
--
Tim