Re: How to `start-process' in different terminal?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: How to `start-process' in different terminal?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:23:30 +0200

>> pdf files (converted to .tiff actally). This does not work with a
>> terminal multiplexer like tmux (running on e.g. tty), I have to switch
>> manually to e.g. tty1 to make it work.
>
> Comparing "tty" to "tty1" is comparing apples and oranges.

I probably meant "tty1" vs "tty2" etc ...

>> When I call `(terminal-list)' from Emacs instances on two different
>> tty's I get the same result:
>
> Emacs's "terminals" are yet different beasts.

the docstring says

,----[ C-h f terminal-list RET ]
| terminal-list is a built-in function in `C source code'.
|
| (terminal-list)
|
| Return a list of all terminal devices.
|
| [back]
`----

but the function returns

,----
| (#<terminal 1 on /dev/tty>)
`----

in my case although Archlinux with systemd has several terminals
pre-initialized AFAIK.

So this `terminal-list' is just about M-x term from within Emacs and
then

,----
| To make multiple terminal emulators, rename the buffer *terminal* to
| something different using M-x rename-uniquely, just as with Shell
| mode.
`----

I guess.

--