Changing menubar fonts, GNU Emacs 24.3.1?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Changing menubar fonts, GNU Emacs 24.3.1?
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 07:07:41 -0700 (PDT)

I've been totally unsuccessful with this: I want to change my Emacs menubar
fonts so that they look like menus in other applications.  I'm using kubuntu
14.04 64-bit, and the emacs version I'm using is:

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
 of 2014-03-08 on lamiak, modified by Debian

I've tried customizing faces, I've tried fiddling with X resources, but so far
nothing I've done has had any affect on the menu font, which is a spindly
monospaced font.  The font used for menus in other applications seems to be
"Ubuntu 9", whatever that is.

I would have thought this would be almost trivial, but so far it seems not to
be...

Any suggestions, advice, or help would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
-A.