Re: editor and word processor history (was: Re: RTF for emacs)

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: editor and word processor history (was: Re: RTF for emacs)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 06:52:43 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 30 May 2014, Emanuel Berg wrote:

James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> writes:

Wordstar may have 'died' long ago but it had the most
efficient keybindings of any editor/word processor -
experts tell me! Writers still use it. Word Perfect
and Word replaced it as you say - they were simpler
to learn.

What were the WS keybindings characteristics and what
makes them superior in your mind?

And what do you mean by "writers" - do you mean writers
of novels, plays, etc.? Or do you mean writers like you
and me, right now?

Ws keybindings were the most efficient requiring less movement across the keyboard. Designed when Caps lock was the ctrl key (also the same with emacs of years ago). Many writers (do a google) i.e. authors have an old PC that they keep for running WS on DOS. Just found Wordtsar (I mean the TSAR) a project started on a cross platform 'wordstar' but the project seem to have slowed down.

DOS Word is popular too with writers it seems e.g. George Martin. But if someone had introduced him to emacs then.... We are all writers in the sense we use a word processor. I may be wrong but for me I find a console is less tiring on the eyes... another reason for me considering emacs, the console version will fit in with my console email client.

To me emacs offers a lot for a writer, and I am experimenting with the WS keybindings but I think there is a bit of adjustment if one then switches to Org or something similar. Remaining with emacs keybindings is perhaps a better move. I'm just experimenting for a few days.

james