Re: RTF for emacs

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: RTF for emacs
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 19:41:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, May 26, 2014 7:19:12 AM UTC+5:30, Robert Thorpe wrote:
> Stefan Monnier  writes:
> > No, it doesn't take months to use them properly.
>
> I think you're a much smarter fellow than me.  Over the years I've tried
> several times to learn LaTeX by spending a day or two reading tutorials
> and using it.  But, I've never been able to write practical documents
> that way.  It's possible to copy templates, but understanding how they
> work so small changes can be made is more difficult.

If latex bugs you, just use the odt (aka libreoffice) backend of org mode.

Just to add to Charles' suggestion:
1. Start using the org that comes ready with emacs.
2. Play around with the functionality from the menu until
basic structure editing makes sense and you dont need to fish
around in the menu for the keys.
3. Use tables and the table editor
4. Try all the exporters that it offers but dont do any significant
customization
5. Around this point you will have to decide whether for you org is
- in the Latex category [Large complex non-working system]
- in the *I just LOVE it* category

If you fall into the second, switch from default org (which can be a
couple of MAJOR versions behind whats bundled with emacs) to a recent one, get
that working and join the org mailing list :D.