Re: RTF for emacs

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: RTF for emacs
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 01:21:19 +0100

> Really, what *is* the use-case for "RTF"?

What about writing a letter to your bank?  Or writing a short technical
document that has to include diagrams?  Plain text can't really do these
things.  Latex can do these things, but it's complicated.  Whenever I
need to use Latex I have to look at lots of examples from the internet
or the last time I used it.  Since I never write large reports using
Latex it's syntax never sticks in my head.

I use a word processor for these kind of things a present, Libreoffice.  I'd
rather not do that though, it's clumsy.  If I had the time I'd help with
adding RTF editing and/or word-processing to Emacs.

Something I'm considering is using info format.  The info makeup is very
simple (for the GNU manuals it's compiled from sources in a TeX dialect
called TeXInfo, but it can be written directly).  Another possibility is using
HTML.

BR,
Robert Thorpe