Re: RTF for emacs

From: Hans BKK
Subject: Re: RTF for emacs
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 05:38:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:41:32 AM UTC-4, jessejazza wrote:
> I read some time ago that there was development taking place for providing
>
> emacs with word processing i.e. formatting iirc RTF.

The closest native-Emacs WYSIWYG rich text facility is "enriched mode"

M-x enriched-mode

based on the MIME 'text/enriched' file format (RFC 1896)

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Enriched-Text.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Enriched-Mode.html
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EnrichedMode

Apparently can save as HTML.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Format-Conversion.html#Format-Conversion

Personally I'd recommend using one of the extended Markdown flavours like
MultiMarkdown or Markdown-Extra - my choice for conversion/publishing tools
would be Pandoc - very responsive support and active development, and there is
a Pandoc-mode Emacs package. But if you're a ruby guy then kramdown, red carpet
et al may be the ticket.

Note these don't give you live-preview, but can exert fine control over output
to PDF via ConTeXT or LaTeX as well as to/from a slew of other formats, also
including HTML if desired.