RE: Dired - open files external

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Dired - open files external
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 06:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

> Dired works fine here, but I cannot figure out how to open the filex
> external.
>
> Special docx and pdf should be opened external, pdf not allways but
> mostly.  How can I do that?  (For docx - it does not make much sense for
> me to see the files inside, but open it with libreoffice would be quite
> good.)

In addition to what others have mentioned, if you are on MS Windows
then, after loading `w32-browser.el' and `dired+.el', you can use
item `Open Associated Windows App' in the `Single' menu to open a
file with the associated program.

Same thing for the marked files, using `Open Associated Windows
Apps' in menus `Multiple' and `Multiple > Marked Here and Below'.

And you can use item `Single' > `Open in Windows Explorer' to open
a file or folder in Windows Explorer.

You can also right-click on a file and pick `Open Associated
Windows App' or `Open in Windows Explorer'.

There are key bindings for these as well:

`M-RET' or `mouse-2' - open with associated program
`C-RET' - open in Explorer