Re: flycheck on Emacs24

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: flycheck on Emacs24
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 11:39:14 +0200

Am 02.05.2014 19:00 schrieb <haines@haines.att.net>:

> Thanks for the help. It led to find out about ELPA. While I was at
> it I also modularized my emacs init file. That all worked out nicely,
> although it seems gnus init file is no longer auto-line wrapping.
>
> But the bottom line is that I used ELPA to install flycheck. It
> seems to have succeeded at least to the extent it shows up as a minor
> mode when I display a file. How to use it I have yet to look into
> because it does not produce the dramatic colored highlight of
> flymake (I see there is an ELPA package to colorize, and I may
> try that).

It does colourize, but less intrusive than Flymake by default.  Customise
the flycheck-error, flycheck-warning and flycheck-info faces to change the
colouring.

There is no package that changes his Flycheck highlights errors.

> I am worried a bit ELPA's compilation of the package. There was an
> error that it was unable to activate package "f". The required package
> "s-1.7.0" is unavailable. When I look at s.el, I find :
>
>   s-buffer is an installed package.

That is a known bug in Emacs 24.3.  See
https://github.com/flycheck/flycheck/pull/372#issuecomment-39475673 for
details and a fix.  The issue is fixed in upcoming Emacs 24.4

It's just a minor nuisance, though, and does not adversely affect Flycheck.

Also note that Flycheck has  comprehensive documentation available at
http://flycheck.rtfd.org/ which includes installation and setup
instructions. Please take the time to read it.