Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:32:20 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:15:03 -0700
>>
>> I don't think this was always this way.  Perhaps some LANG variable got
>> changed, but which?
>>
>> The very top of the Emacs Info has suddenly been translated to French.
>> All of the menu items in the Info tree are still in English (AFAIK) --
>> just the first couple of paragraphs have changed as in:
>>
>> File: dir,   Node: Top       Ceci est le haut de l'arborescence INFO
>>
>>   Ceci (le noeud Répertoire) fournit un menu des sujets majeurs.
>>   « d » pour revenir à cet endroit,
>>   « h » fournit un guide d'initiation pour les nouveaux venus,
>>   « mEmacs<Return> » démarre une consultation du manuel Emacs, etc.
>>
>>   En Emacs, vous pouvez cliquer avec le bouton-2 de la souris sur un item
>> menu
>>   ou sur une référence croisée pour le sélectionner.
>>
>> This is in a Cygwin installation on Windows 8.1 of Emacs 24.3.
>
> This is not an Emacs problem.  This is how the install-info.exe
> program (part of the Texinfo package) works: it localizes these
> introductory instructions to the Info system when it installs Info
> files.

I don't have the source code installed, but I don't believe that is
true.  I think install-info merely concatenates the dir files found in
Info-directory-list and removes the introductory information from all
except the first dir file.  If the first dir file is wrong, so be it.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large