eshell, subshells, and cursor control

From: ckhan
Subject: eshell, subshells, and cursor control
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

I love the convenience of eshell: M-x ehsell gives me a consistent environment,
on any platform.

But if I start any kind of interactive program from eshell
(for the sake of example, lets say "nslookup")

then I lose the ability to use M-p/M-n to browse command line history, and
Ctrl-A will not take me to the  beginning of the nslookup prompt, but rather to
the left edge of the buffer.

How can I get eshell-mode to behave more like shell-mode when I start
interactive command line programs?

Thanks,
-ck