setting the window title for remote shell

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: setting the window title for remote shell
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 17:00:33 -0700

MAIN QUESTION
I often ssh through a series of systems, run screen on the last system, start emacs in the screen window and then start up a bash shell. I would like it if the system window title reflected the system, and possibly the directory, I am in.

Various sources suggest
   echo -ne '\e]0;Title\a'
or building it in to the command prompt.

When I tried executing the command from a shell running under emacs it had no effect. I suspect emacs eats the non-printing characters. If I start another window under screen, running bash directly, executing the echo command does change the window title. The first step of the chain was running a cygwin bash shell (mintty) under Windows 7 (though other times I start from Linux using Konsole). The remote systems were all Debian GNU/Linux.

How can I get this to work?

DESIRED BEHAVIOR
I'm not entirely sure what the best behavior would be. To make it most like the non-emacs shell it would display the host and current directory, meaning it would have to change when the directory in the shell changes. And for other buffers I suppose the window title should show the directory and filename, or the buffer title. I often have multiple non-graphical emacs windows (frames?) open at once (e.g., via C-x 3).

Alternately, perhaps the window title should just have the user and host.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS/RELATED DISCUSSION
For that latter mode, the solution suggested in this thread http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2008-11/msg00008.html might work, though as far as I can tell it has nothing directly to do with emacs (it's a modification to ssh).

For emacs proper I found references to http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/xterm-frobs.el, but that code is quite old (2009 or earlier) and I'm not confident it will work with relatively recent emacs.

There was also a long discussion "console-mode frame title sets Xterm title" in 2003 (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-09/msg00534.html) but I'm not sure what came of it, or how relevant it is (because I'm not sure what "frame title" refers to).

Thanks for any help.
Ross Boylan