Re: Build emacs on debian

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: Build emacs on debian
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 22:04:16 +0100

> Running debian (jesse/testing)
>
> I've built emacs for yrs but have not done so for a good while now.
>
> I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
> recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.
>
> There must have been some devel pkgs removed in the interm.
>
> My ./configure cmd
>
>   ./configure --with-xft --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>                 --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test
>
> A few lines of output containing the error below:
>
>   [...]
>   checking for long file names... yes
>   checking for X... no
>   checking for X... true
>   configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
>   were found.  You should install the relevant development files for X
>   and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+ or Motif.  Also make
>   sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
>   tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.
>
> [...]
>
> Any debian people here who know what I'm missing?

Like you I'm running 'jessie' and have today built the latest available emacs
From savannah. This is my script for it -
,----
| #!/bin/bash
| set -e
| #set -x
| #: Title                      : ebuild
| #: Date                       : 1 April 2014
| #: Version                    : 1.0
| #: Description                : To download and build the development build
of emacs.
| #: Requirements               : none known
| # Copyright (C) 2014  Sharon Kimble
| #
| # This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
| # it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
| # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
| # (at your option) any later version.
| #
| # This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
| # but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
| # MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
| # GNU General Public License for more details.
| #
| # You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
| # with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
| # 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
| ####################################################
| log=~/logs/emacsbuild.txt
| exec > >(tee -a $log) 2>&1
| echo "$(date +%Y-%m-%d\ %H:%M:%S)" >> $log
| trap "kill -- -$BASHPID" EXIT
|
| cd ~
| #cd ~/git
| cd ~/git/trunk
| #bzr pull http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk
| bzr pull
| ./autogen.sh
| ./configure
| export emacs_prefix="/usr/local"
| make
| sudo make install
| cd ~
`----

Obviously comment/uncomment lines as required, but that will build emacs
24.4.50.2, which is the most up-to-date available.

Hope it helps?
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1