emacs slow on dired renaming

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: emacs slow on dired renaming
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 07:57:14 +0100

I have a build of emacs from the bzr trunk (of last week) for which
dired renaming of files is very slow. It takes around 60 seconds to move
16 files to a subdirectory of their current location (within the same
filesystem). The delay is spread across the files so each rename appears
to take the same (c 5 seconds) time.

I've not yet managed to construct a minimal test case for this - if I
start -Q or with my .emacs - without loading desktop the same rename
runs virtually instantaneously.

I am seeing a similar slowness in VM (the mail reader) which I suspect is
related - here the problem gets worse the longer the emacs session is
left running - so if it is the same problem as above maybe that's why a
simple with -Q doesn't show the problem?

I'm not placing it is a bug report yet as this is rather vague but in
case anyone has any helpful thoughts or is also seeing this issue?

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
 of 2014-03-27 on poulenc
Repository revision: 116883 lekktu@gmail.com-20140327011754-63o9myvyaubkzn1b
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
System Description:     Ubuntu 13.10

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/