How to make Emacs paths in the minibuffer start at root (/) instead of $

From: MBR
Subject: How to make Emacs paths in the minibuffer start at root (/) instead of $HOME (~)?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:15:55 -0400

There are times when I'd like to make an Emacs buffer's current directory available to be pasted into other applications. I can do this by typing:

   C-x C-f              (this asks what file you want to open, and puts
   the current directory in the mini-buffer with the cursor at the end)
   C-a (move to the beginning of the minibuffer)
   C-k (kill the contents of the minibuffer, and as a side effect make
   the line you just killed available to be pasted)
   C-g (cancel the file open operation)

A bit of a kludge, I know, but it works. Except that for subdirectories of my home directory the path starts at "~" instead of "/", and some of the applications I might want to paste it into don't understand "~".

Is there any way to force Emacs to always start paths in the minibuffer at "/" instead of starting some of them at "~"?

   Mark Rosenthal
   mbr@arlsoft.com