Re: mail-mode does not insert a date header

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mail-mode does not insert a date header
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 17:52:27 +0200

> From: Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:33:01 -0600
>
> On 3/10/14 1:01 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Isn't the Date header inserted by the MTA, as opposed by the MUA?
> > When I compose mail, I don't see that header in the *mail* buffer, and
> > yet it magically appears on my mails when I look at them in the forums
> > where I post.
>
> Yes, but if Emacs is talking directly with a server via SMTP, Emacs is
> effectively the MTA and should insert the Date header.

How do you see that OP's Emacs is talking directly to the server?  I
don't see anything in his report which would indicate that; did I miss
something?

Anyway, even if Emacs is the MTA (e.g., via smptmail.el), it inserts
the Date header behind the scenes, so the answer to the OP's question
whether he should add that header to his mail before sending still
stands, I think.