`comment-start' is nil

From: lee
Subject: `comment-start' is nil
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:37:38 +0100

Hi,

I´m using desktop-mode to restore the previous session when starting
emacs.  For some buffers that are restored this way, I´m using a mode
I´m working on.  This mode employs a function to search for a regex in
particular buffers.  The regex involves `comment-start'.

Unfortunately, at the time the function is running during start-up, the
value of `comment-start' is nil.

    (let ((end-marker (concat "^" comment-start
lsl-hi-lock-patterns-end-marker)))
        (message "comment-start with %s is %s"
           (buffer-name)
           comment-start) ...)

gives me messages like "comment-start with test-plane.fontify is nil".
Calling the same function later works fine because `comment-start' isn´t
nil anymore.

Is it supposed to be like this, or is it a bug that `comment-start' is
nil?

I could work around it by setting `comment-start' to "# ", or by
omitting it, when it´s nil, but if it´s a bug, it should rather be
fixed ...

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.